Events Calendar

Download as iCal file
PREVENTIVE ACTIONS AGAINST COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions For Students
Tuesday 24 March 2020, 08:00am - 05:00pm
Hits : 149
by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Frequently Asked Questions


1. Will UNIMAS be closed until 31st March 2020?
Yes. UNIMAS will be closed from 18 March 2020 to 31 March 2020. This includes our main campus in Kota Samarahan, Integrated Learning Facility in Sibu, Kuching City Campus, and UNIMAS Training Centre in Bau. Only Responsibility Centres that are involved in the University’s essential services will remain open. Residential College Cafes will continue to function and provide take away services only. Campus retail shops will also be kept open for the convenience of students who stay in the hostel.

2. What to do if I can’t leave the campus or go home?
We realize that leaving campus on short notice will be difficult and challenging and there will be extenuating circumstances for some international students. UNIMAS will provide you the help you need to stay safe and secure and to continue with your academic work. If you cannot leave the campus or go home, consult with your resident office in charge of your housing to discuss potential delays and accommodations. Rest assured that we will support your academic continuity and well-being should UNIMAS need to reduce its on-campus workforce.

3. Is there any UNIMAS hotline for COVID-19 related queries?
You can contact the following numbers.

4. Where do I get essentials such as groceries and cash?
You can get groceries, food, and everyday items from your residential colleges. If you need to go outside the campus, please only do so between 11.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m. Minimise your contact with the public and practice frequent handwashing.

5. What does a Stay Home Notice (SHN) mean? Can I go out from my room and get food?
Stay Home Notice (SHN) means that you are strictly required to stay in the campus (which is considered as your “home”) during a given period of time. You can go out to buy take-away food and essentials between 11.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m., but you need to practice social distancing and proper hygiene. During the SHN period, you must not:
i. Dine in the college cafes
ii. Engage in any group activities
iii.Make unnecessary trips outside of the campus

6. I’m living with someone who has been issued with a Stay Home Notice . What must I do?
Reduce interaction and minimise contact with them. For example, avoid sharing a bed, limit the time spent together at common areas within the accommodation, have separate mealtimes, and ensure that the room is properly ventilated.
If possible, avoid sharing the same toilet. If this is not practical, avoid using the toilet space at the same time and clean and disinfect the toilet more frequently than usual. Do not share towels. Sharing toilet paper is safe as long as it is not stained, soiled, or wet.


1. I’m now in my home country and my student pass will expire on 28 March 2020. I can’t leave my country due to the travel restriction order until further notice from my government. What should I do?
Stay in your home country until you are allowed to leave and the Malaysia / Sarawak Movement Control Order ends. We will submit your visa renewal application with a justification to the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

2. I am currently in Sarawak but not in Kuching/Kota Samarahan area. Am I allowed to return to the campus before 31st March 2020?
Yes, you are allowed to come back to the campus before 31 March 2020. But you have to undergo a 14-day Stay Home Notice once you arrive at your accommodation. Hence, you are strongly advised to stay where you are now and limit your movement. Please follow the Movement Control Order.

3. I am currently outside of Sarawak. Am I allowed to return to Sarawak before 31st March 2020?
No. You are required to stay where you are now and limit your movement as requested by the Movement Control Order.
After the Movement Control Period is over, you may return to Sarawak. Once you arrive at your accommodation, you are required to undergo a 14-day Stay Home Notice process.

4. Can I go on UNIMAS-related trips?
All University-related domestic and international travels are prohibited until further notice.

Teaching and learning

1. I have received an offer to enrol as a UNIMAS student for April 2020 semester intake. Can I come and register according to the offer letter registration date?
Due to the enforced mobility restriction and travel restrictions into Malaysia, you are advised to delay your registration until further notice. Please email the Senior Director of the Centre for Graduate Study to get the permission for late registration or to delay your registration to next semester.

2. I am an international scholar and I’m concerned that my work is affected by the University’s announcement. What should I do?
Scholars should work with their departments regarding any accommodations that need to be made to allow them to continue teaching and researching. Contact your department for further information and guidance.

3. When will class begin?
The class will begin on 1 April 2020, which is after the extended mid-term break. All classes will be delivered online from 1 April 2020 until further notice.

4. What should I do during the period of Movement Control Order (18 – 31 March 2020)?
You can proceed with self-learning by going through the content that your lecturer has provided as well as work on your assignments from home or hostel.

5. Will there be any online learning activities that are compulsory for me to work on during this period of Movement Control Order?
No. All teaching and learning activities including online learning are halted during this period. However, you still can access all materials and activities that were previously prepared by your lecturers on eLEAP.

6. Do I need special software for online learning?
No, you only need to access eLEAP by going to each course page. However, if your lecturer is using other tools, they will inform you about it.

7. I heard about live class; how can I follow it?
Not all lecturers will be using live class/streaming. If they do, they will specify the software or website that they will use. The most common one is Zoom.Us and Skype. You can install the plugins and software first if you need to. Refer to the Students' Guide page on eLEAP for further assistance.

8. How is my attendance taken during online class?
Most lecturers will be using activity-based attendance. You will have to complete activities given by the lecturers on eLEAP in order to be marked as "present". Online class will commence on 1 April 2020.

9. What should I do if I am unable to login to eLEAP?
You may reset your password at and try login again. If you did not receive any email for reset, please call 082-583848 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

10. Who should I contact if I face any other technical difficulties during my online learning?
You may contact eLEAP Help Desk via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Some common technical problems and solutions are available at

11. I’m a final year student. Can I continue with my lab works during the Movement Control Period?
No lab activities are allowed. Please get in touch with your Programme Coordinator for further information.

12. I am a final year student and I need to collect my data for my thesis. Can I use questionnaires?
Discuss the data collection with your supervisor. Where possible, use an online data collection method.

13. I need to complete assignments that involve meeting external parties outside of UNIMAS. What do I do?
Please postpone and put on hold all assessments that requires you to meet the public, e.g. online businesses that required delivery, buying stocks, company visit, interview session, etc.

14. How about the implementation of physical labs and FYP which requires lab experimentation?
This will resume physically (face-to-face) after the Movement Control Order is lifted.

Exams and assessments

1. How about the implementation of tests and final exams?
If the Movement Control Order is lifted, we will resume physical (face-to-face) tests with fewer than 50 persons per setting. Otherwise, we will consider alternative assessments. You can go to (website) for the latest information and directives.

2. Some of us are taking ACCA exams. We worry about clashes between our final exams and ACCA exams. Most of us have chosen our hometown as our exam venue because tentatively, we should finish our exams before June. Our exams are on the first week of June, is it possible to at least avoid setting our exams on the first week of June?
As this is a national issue, this would affect all organisations including the ACCA. Therefore, students are encouraged to check with ACCA for any revised exam policies on their end.

Industrial training

1. I am an Engineering student who should be doing CIDB training. What are the start and end dates for Industrial Training?
14th June 2020 – 23rd August 2020.
CIDB training that was originally on 1st April and 14th April is shifted to 21st April and 28th April respectively (subject to approval from CIDB).

2. I'm a third-year student. Currently, I am doing my internship. What should I do during this period of Movement Control Order?
Students who are undergoing internship (Latihan Industri or LI) or Work Based Learning (WBL) need to postpone their training starting 18th March 2020 until 31st March 2020, except for those involved in Essential Services (refer to National Security Council statement on 18th March 2020).

International students

1. How will online classes affect international students and visa status?
UNIMAS recognises online and blended learning as part of our teaching and learning. International students can continue to make normal progress in a full course of study as required and students' legal immigration are not in jeopardy. International students and scholars should also contact their supervisors/advisors if they have any academic-related questions or concerns.

2. My student pass will expire on 28 March 2020. Can I apply for a renewal? Do UNIMAS International Relations Office and Immigration Department of Malaysia operate during the Movement Control Order from 18 - 31 March 2020?
The office of the Immigration Department of Malaysia is open as usual for any related immigration process. UNIMAS International Relations Office does not operate during the Movement Control Order period but we have officers in the office to handle urgent issues. You can come to UNIMAS International Office and submit your application between 9.00am - 12.00pm and 2.00pm - 4.00pm.

3. I am an international student and I have been invited to start a program at UNIMAS soon. Should I still come?
You should contact the UNIMAS department that invited you for further information and guidance.

4. What should I do if I want to travel back to my home country between 18th March and 1st April 2020?
International students who have decided to travel home or to another location should refer to the travel instructions from UNIMAS and Sarawak State Regulation. You are allowed to leave the state/country but with valid documents and permission from the Vice Chancellor. If you are allowed to leave, you will be issued a 14-day Stay At Home Notice once you are back in Sarawak. If you have fever symptoms, you will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine as requested by the Malaysian Health Authority. Contact UNIMAS International Relations office for additional questions or concerns.

5. Instead of traveling back to my home country, can I go elsewhere in Malaysia?
You are strongly advised not to travel within this period of time until further notice. If you are currently not in the campus, please provide us with the address where you are residing now using the following online form:

6. Can I travel abroad for personal trips?
UNIMAS is strongly discouraging all personal international travels until further notice. We understand that at this time of uncertainty, students may prefer to be home with their families. Therefore, UNIMAS will consider requests to travel back home from international students currently on campus, especially those from high-risk COVID-19 locations. Requests for travel permission, however, must be made to the Vice Chancellor and the approval depends on the development of the current situation.